Membership >> Benefits >> Join Us
Membership of the Society of Solicitor Advocates gives you a greater voice in the ever-changing environment that is the Scottish legal profession.
The Society works to support solicitor advocates in Scotland in many ways:
- The Society liaises with the Judiciary, through the Liaison Judge, and with the Law Society of Scotland.
- We have regular contact with our counterparts in the rest of the UK as well as with delegations from the renowned National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA).
- We meet with SLAB to discuss fees.
- We respond to consultations on behalf of solicitor advocates, and represent solicitor advocates on various working groups - e.g. the Criminal Appeal Court Users Group.
- We organise advocacy training sessions, with the assistance of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and others.
The Society also aims to raise the profile of solicitor advocates in general, and our members in particular:
- Our innovative new enquiry system - Instruct+ ® - allows solicitors to contact all appropriate members, when they have appearance work that they need help with. Please note - this service will not be available to members who are currently prosecutors.
- Our search-optimised website means that our members will generally find their Society profile listed on the first page of Google, when their name is searched for online.
- Our accessible website allows members' profiles and contact details to be found easily, when potential clients or instructing solicitors are searching for someone to represent them.
- We like to publish news about our members, raising their profile even more.
Other benefits include our regular newsletter - updating you on issues relating to solicitor advocates and other members of the Society.