1. www.solicitoradvocates.org (“the website”) is the website of the Society of Solicitor Advocates (“the Society”), an unincorporated organisation formed to represent the interests of solicitor advocates in Scotland and to promote excellence in advocacy before the Scottish courts.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using the website. Any use of the website indicates that you accept these terms and conditions.
The Society reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time by posting the changes on the website. The modified terms and conditions shall take effect upon their posting on the website. Your use of the website after the posting of the changes will signify your agreement with them. It is your responsibility to check periodically for changes to the terms and conditions.
Operator of the website
2. The website is operated and maintained by the Society.
Any enquiries should be directed to:
The Society of Solicitor Advocates
52a Kettil’stoun Mains
Telephone – 01506 846587
3. These pages contain general information only. The information provided on the website does not constitute professional or legal advice. We cannot accept any liability for actions arising from its use.
4. The Society makes no warranties, representations or undertakings about:
5. The Society does not endorse or approve the content of any third party site, nor will the Society have any liability in connection with any of them (including, but not limited to, liability arising out of any allegation that the content of any third party site infringes any law or the rights of any person or entity).
6. The Society does not 'vet' or approve solicitor advocates who are listed on the site. Those listed on the site are members of the Society from time to time. The Society reserves its right to withhold membership in full and or in part from time to time at the Society’s own discretion.
7. If you choose, or are given, a security mechanism such as a password, username and PIN, you must treat it as confidential, and not disclose it to any third party.
8. You agree to indemnify us for any losses or expenses caused by the disclosure by you or by the unauthorised use of such a security mechanism.
9. We shall be entitled to make reasonable enquiries to verify your identity prior to allowing you access to the member areas of the website.
Copyright and trademarks
10. The content of the website is copyright © the Society of Solicitor Advocates 2012. You may download to a local hard disk and print extracts from the website for your personal use. You may also recopy downloaded extracts to others provided you do not do so for profit.
However, reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited unless for personal use. None of the content of the website may be copied or otherwise incorporated into or stored in any other website, electronic retrieval system, publication or other work in any form (whether hard copy, electronic or other). For the avoidance of doubt, framing of the website or any part of it is not permitted without express permission.
Notwithstanding the above, caching of the website is permitted by an information service provider acting in the normal course of its business as provided for in the Electronic Commerce ( EC Directive) Regulations 2002.
11. The Society owns a number of registered and unregistered trademarks including but not limited to THE SOCIETY OF SOLICITOR ADVOCATES and INSTRUCT+ ®. You may not use any trademarks belonging to the Society from time to time, without the Society’s prior written consent.
12. The intellectual property rights on postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, or other materials that members upload to the website are retained by the copyright owner. These are added to the site by members at their own risk. In doing so members are giving expressed and irrevocable permission for us to store, display and use the materials.
13. You agree to use the website only for lawful purposes and in a way that does not infringe the rights of or restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of the website. Messages, profiles, job descriptions and other content must be civil and tasteful.
14. You understand that all postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, or other materials posted on, transmitted through, or linked from the website, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. You are entirely responsible for all materials that you post, email or otherwise make available via the website.
15. You acknowledge that the Society does not pre-screen or approve all materials, but that the Society shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any material that is available on the website for violating the letter or spirit of the terms or for any other reason.
Exclusion of liability
16. The website and its content is made available "as is" without any representation or warranty of any kind, whether express or implied. Despite careful checking, the content may contain eventual inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are made to the website from time to time.
17. You acknowledge that the Society has no control over the internet and does not take responsibility for viruses or malicious computer codes transmitted through the website or for internet service interruptions.
18. Your use of the website and the content is entirely at your own risk. Under no circumstances will the Society be liable in any way for any content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, emailed or otherwise made available via the website.
19. In no event shall the Society, its suppliers, or any third parties referred to in the website be held responsible for any damages whatsoever (such as, but not limited to, incidental and consequential damages) that are caused to you in connection with the use of, or the inability to use, the website and its content.
22. Instruct+ ® is an online resource provided by the Society for members of the Society and for solicitors who wish to contact a solicitor advocate with a view to instructing representation and/or other relevant instruction. The use of the resource does not create any instruction but merely augments existing methods of contact between our members and solicitors.
Terms and conditions relating to Instruct+ ® can be found here
23. Online subscription payments are made using PayPal. All sensitive card account details are transmitted direct to PayPal, not to the Society.
Termination of service
24. You agree that the Society, in its sole discretion, has the right (but not the obligation) to delete or deactivate your account, block your email address, or otherwise terminate or restrict your access to or use of the website, immediately and without notice, and remove and discard any content within the website, for any reason, including, without limitation, if the Society believes that you have acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the terms.
25. You agree that the Society shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination or restriction of your access to the website.
26. You agree not to attempt to use the website after said termination.